Alternatives Assessment Initiatives
The field of alternatives assessment is growing rapidly. A diverse set of organizations are all working towards their own frameworks and principles. Which approach will emerge as dominant is to be determined.
Europe & International
European Chemicals Agency (ECHA)
- Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Ad Hoc Group on Substitution of Harmful Chemicals
- Current Landscape of Alternatives Assessment Practice: A Meta-Review
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Stockholm Convention on Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) Review Committee -- General guidance on considerations related to alternatives and substitutes for listed persistent organic pollutants and candidate chemicals.
- ASTM International New Guide for the Evaluation of Chemical and Component Alternatives in a Products Life Cycle
- BizNGO: Alternatives Assessment Work Group
- International Life Sciences Institute (ILSI) Health and Environmental Sciences Instiute (HESI): Sustainable Alternatives Subcommittee
- California Green Chemistry Initiative
- The Interstate Chemicals Clearinghouse
- Maine Department of Environmental Protection – Safer Chemicals in Children’s Products
- Washington State Department of Ecology - Safer Chemical Alternatives
- National Academy of Sciences (NAS) Committee, "Design and Evaluation of Safer Chemical Substitutions -- A Framework to Inform Government and Industry Decisions"
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Design for the Environment Program